Only reports available in the online eCMID database at www.imcaecmid.com, which will have been prepared and uploaded by an accredited vessel inspector (AVI), are recognised as valid eCMID or eMISW reports by IMCA. PDF and paper copies produced from the online eCMID database include a watermark showing their draft or live status and can be verified by requesting access to the online version.
So why should an operator or client prefer the eCMID system to the traditional offline approach?
- Only AVIs can upload inspection reports – this ensures that every report is completed by an inspector who is suitably qualified, with the knowledge and current experience required for inspecting the vessel type being inspected
- The latest question set is always in use – the eCMID and eMISW templates are regularly reviewed and updated to reflect regulatory and technological developments, to address findings identified in report data analysis and to incorporate feedback from the eCMID user community
- Explanatory comments are required from inspectors where their answer results in an official ‘finding’ and in selected other locations. These must be entered before a report can be uploaded, but could easily be missed out in a print-only form.
- Follow-up information is available – once the inspection report has been uploaded, the vessel operator can add comments and supporting information that show how any findings have been addressed, certification has been renewed, etc.
- Industry requirements are addressed – the eCMID and eMISW templates are developed under the oversight of the cross-industry IMCA Marine eCMID Committee, including consultation and feedback from the eCMID community – currently over 1,500 active users globally
- Avoid costly repeat inspections – an eCMID or eMISW report is valid for twelve months and can be accessed via the online database free of charge (there is a fee for the initial upload, which is used to support and develop the system). This can avoid the need for multiple inspections, each with similar requirements, during that period